Wednesday, August 1, 2012

8/1/12 Campaign Trail Update #64

Dichotomy of HD41-B Voters

Our team traveled into New Brighton last night seeking yard sign placement, stopping specifically at a home containing a Sue Jeffers (a Republican running for Ramsey County Commissioner) yard sign. As our volunteer approached the home to seek yard sign placement approval I stepped into the street to greet a family of South East Asia decent walking along the road; here is our dichotomy experience.

The Republican
The volunteer spent her time listening as the Republican critiqued the campaign shortcomings from his perspective, 1. me, an isolated representative, 2. who would I caucus with, 3. what privileged committee assignments would I miss not being in the Republican circles, were just some of the comments; never discussing my positions, or conservative credentials, leaving my volunteer standing in his driveway while he walked into the garage and closed the door, rejecting the yard sign placement.

The Citizen
As I approached the South East Asia family walking the street in our direction the man changed his path toward me, reaching out to shake hands and ask me what Tim was running for. I replied Minnesota State House and I am Tim; he light up like a Christmas tree hardily shaking my hand saying how cool it is meeting a real candidate for office. Our conversation included his desire of preserving America, having lived in his new country for just 6 years. He mentioned not having political history where he was from, parents who were neither Republican nor Democrat, not being tarnished by political labeling allowing him to look at the candidates.

We closed the conversation by him asking if he could have a Tim Utz sign in his yard, I said it out be my honor. He returned with me to his home leaving his family who continued walking and pointed to a premium location in the front yard for placement of my yard sign.

Political dichotomy is an appropriate description for the two residents on this New Brighton street, who happen to be next door neighbors, one espousing political arrogance, the other one of appreciation and enthusiasm for America’s Republic. On the political streets in HD41-B the political lines are developing a dichotomy between those who are trapped in a two party system and the majority seeking a candidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment